Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Strive

I will not get complacent
I will keep my stride
For the ones not here today
Who made that struggle to survive
For the young black man
Who was forced to be a slave
That had to learn to read
When light was as dark as a cave
For the young black woman
Who got stripped of her children
That became the strongest figure
Like that of a tall steel building
For the old black man
Who has seen it all
He was forced to work for pennies
And held his tounge through it all
For the old black woman
Soul as sweet as peaches
Who walks now with Jesus
Like footprints on the beaches
For my sisters, brothers, and mothers
Fathers, aunts, cousins, and my mother's mother
For G's like my grandfather and all of the others
For every opportunity I strive
For the one's before me who struggled to survive

 - anonymous thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment